Saturday, June 25, 2005

Have You Met Cecil?

It can be devastating when someone we admire and respect uses words and attitudes, and just enough scripture to crush our spirit. That isn't necessarily their intent. Actually, the intent is to reveal the truth, at least the truth according to that person.

Braden came home telling us of a conversation he had with someone that he cares for very deeply. "Cecil" (which is not the real name of this person, but was chosen because it means "blind") told Braden that something his church does was wrong and that it said so in the Bible. I asked him what he thought about that. He replied that this person really didn't know. I also asked him if he thought that this statement was true. "No, because it's praising God," he said. I reminded him of what is in the Bible, in I Timothy 4:12. "Don't let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you teach, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity."

Many of us have a Cecil or two in our lives. They think they are doing us a favor by pointing out what they truly believe are weaknesses of our faith. Sometimes it is hard not to be discouraged by such people, especially when they have been an integral part of our lives. I have found it best not to argue, but to live by example...in what I teach my children, in the way I live my life, in the way I love, in my faith, and in my purity. Cecil sees the fruit of this, I'm sure.

Father, open the eyes of the Cecil's in our lives. Let them see the real you. Help them to see past the rules and be buried in Your grace. And thank you for my little Timothy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Danny Sims said...

Yes. These are the "Yeah But" people... Always saying "Yeah, but..." whenever they don't like something. Jesus knew some about 2,000 years ago. Thankfully most of them I know today are not as dangerous as those who nailed Jesus.

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home