Friday, July 29, 2005

Discipleship

I am about to enter into a pretty intensive discipleship training program. It is called COREgroups, and was developed by this great guy who is an elder at church, New River Fellowship. It is centered around the 3-strand model: crowd, cell, CORE, in which people get connected and build relationships through the church (crowd), LifeGroups (cell), and with 2 or 3 others of the same gender (CORE). The idea is that no one is alone, in service, developing, growing, seeking, or struggling. I am excited about entering into this deeper level of intimacy with God and others.

There is a difference in being a disciple and being a believer. I have never really thought about it that much, but it is true. Jesus' disciples followed him closely, and were eager to share with others the hope they had in Him. Believers heard the Good News and went on their way, certainly having been changed by their experience with the Savior, but going on with their daily lives. I feel that I have done that in my life. I know what God has done for me. He has saved me through His Son, and it was life changing. People I interact with - my family, co-workers, friends, acquaintances, cashiers, clerks, everyone - should be able to see that change in me, and I want them to know about it.

I believe, now I want to become a disciple.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bruce said...

Sounds great, but intense. I pray that God will work in your life and make you a true Christ Follower, and not just a "Christian."

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home