Saturday, July 30, 2005

Goodbye, My Friend



The Crow house has had its share of sadness today. Sabella, Cara-Lee's 9 month old Sable Burmese, was put down today. She suddenly became ill last night, having seizures. Bloodwork detected nothing. Kidneys tested normal, although they were enlarged. She just seemed to shut down.

Cara-Lee has loved cats since she was able to talk. Before Sabella, Holly and I were NOT cat people. Santa brought Sabella this past Christmas, and she was the best pet ever. If anyone is thinking about a cat, but unsure if you really want one, research the Burmese. You will become a cat lover, too. They are great.

We were honest with the kids about everything. When we realized that Sabella would have to be put down, we let them know. Cara-Lee cried and cried. We went to the animal hospital and were able to visit with her one last time. Cara-Lee and Braden were so brave saying goodbye. They loved on her so sweetly and gently. Cara-Lee and I stayed with Sabella while the vet actually put her down. Cara-Lee gently stroked Sabella for the few moments that it takes for the process to work. We all took turns holding her again, and we said a short prayer, thanking God for allowing us to take care of Sabella for the few months that she was here.

Both kids are sad. However, I am proud that they recognize that death is a part of the life cycle, and that often times it occurs in the young, sometimes it is sudden and unexplained. And that it hurts, even with a kitty.

Incidentally, we are scheduled to pick up another Burmese next Saturday - something that was already on the agenda before these events occurred. We were really looking forward to having two. We'll see.

8 Comments:

Blogger Bar L. said...

Ohhhhh, bless your family. This is the second cat I know that had to be put down this week...But Sabella's passing seems much more traumatic because she was such a young cat...and because your sweet little daughter is her owner.

Its good that you already had plans to pick up antother cat...I think God must have known. The new kitty will probably help ease some of the pain of losing this sweet little cat.

I'm praying for your family.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Danny Sims said...

What important lessons, but don't these kind of lessons hurt? What's worse... The kitty dying or seeing Cara-Lee so sad? I have never liked cats but, like you, fell in love with one. We had to giver her away when Hannah was an infant becasue Hannah seemed to be allergic to it... Not near as tough as what you guys went through!

4:36 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Sorry for the loss of your little kitty. I know it was hard for the kids to take, but what a learning experience. My daughter had to put her cat to sleep about a year ago. She had cancer and it had come time to ease her pain. Bonnie cried and I cried too watching my daughter in so much pain. She had really grown to love that cat. Her new job requires her to travel a lot so she comes over an loves on our cats. Hope the kids don't grieve too long. Good luck with your new cat.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Bruce said...

I feel your pain...for your loss and the sadness of your daughter. We've had to put down two dogs, and I don't care what anyone says, it's like losing a member of the family. However, like any loss the pain grows less intense every day. I pray God's peace on your young daughter's heart.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Kel-Bell said...

What a blessing it is to hear of a parent who teaches of the circle of life. It is so often hidden in our linear society.

Blessings to your family. I know that letting go hurts.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Bar L. said...

How are you all doing this week? Looking forward to hearing about the new kitty arrival on Sat.

Did you notice BJ is back on Random Rants?

12:12 PM  
Blogger Travis Crow said...

I think that the kids are doing better with this than Holly and I are! We are all excited about picking up the new kitty - Saturday at 10:00 AM!

I'm glad that BJ is back. He's good!

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Travis, I just a couple of weeks ago had to let one of my 5 cats go. We had him for 16 yrs and was basically my son's first cat. We were all sad, but since God gave us dominion over the animals, I believe we will be reunited with them at the end.

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home